Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chapter Nineteen: (WANTED) Personal Shopper

I am surprised that I don't see a regular ad in the local newspaper for a person seeking a personal shopper because most everyone that shops at (insert popular drugstore name) seems to need one.

As I have said multiple times, I have no problem helping people out - showing customers around the store, grabbing something for them in the pharmacy aisles, etc.

What I sometimes find to be a slight problem is the fact that some shoppers are confused, and believe I am their own personal cashier from the moment they walk in until the moment they leave.

i.e.
"Hello! How are you today?" I say as the customer enters.
"Fine. Where's the peanut butter?" says Customer.
"Aisle 21. Right ahead of you."
He walks directly to his right, because the grocery aisle is literally right when you walk in the door and almost impossible to miss.
Customer appears from the aisle a moment later. "Where's the coffee?"
"Right above the peanut butter," I reply.
He returns down aisle 21. And a few minutes later, he appears back in the center aisle.
By this time, I'm ringing up someone else's purchase. But Customer doesn't care. "Where's the coupon center?" he bellows out.
"Right straight ahead of you," I say back, trying not to scream directly in the face of the person at the register in front of me.
Two minutes later, Customer comes to the counter. "Where are the greeting cards? Can you show me?"
"Sure!" I reply. And we trek down the center aisle to the three large aisles of cards.
Next, I walk him across the aisle to the oral care section, to find the perfect toothbrush.

(Incase you've never had the privilege of meeting someone in need of a personal shopper - let me explain: It's like they're blind. They don't even attempt to look for the things on their list. They want the cashier to walk them around to each item. And they're in a hurry. So it's more like a scavenger hunt. Meanwhile, you have a line of ten people at the register.)

"Let me run up and page someone to help you so I can take care of the people at the register, okay?" I suggest, watching the growing crowd.
"Wait," he insists. "Just a few more. Where's the pop?"
And it continues. I wish I had a clone - or five.




{Author's Note}
....I must admit. The above was a collaboration of a a couple different stories, but the idea is always the same.

1 comment:

  1. It's like that game show where you have to get certain items in a certain amount of time. Too bad that isn't on anymore. You'd be a winner FOR SURE!

    ReplyDelete