Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chapter Fourteen: Open Mouth. Insert Foot.

Remember how I said I'll post when a customer does something stupid? Well..I guess what goes around comes around.

A man came into the store and immediately grabbed all eight of our town newspapers and eagerly put them on the counter. I rarely, and I mean rarely, inquire about why people are purchasing what they're purchasing. I think it's nosey, but mostly, I tend to daydream during the short amount of time it takes the customer to swipe their credit card at the register, so I don't even have time to create lengthy conversations...

But of course, it's me. So when I am able to make a situation uncomfortable, my brain finds a way.

"Aw! Do you know someone in the paper?" I asked in an extraordinarily cheerful manner.
He responded so quickly. "Yes. My wife just passed away."

Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment